Tuesday, August 27, 2013

We need help helping.

I know this is pathetic, because I have now worked here for over two years, but I just recently realized that the objective for every single learning activity in the curriculum begins with the word "help." There's got to be something to this.

I used my study time from training two weeks ago to dedicate a concentrated study towards what it means to help. The dictionary uses words like such as "facilitate" and "assist" and "contribute" to describe what it means to help. I really liked these words in thinking about help, and they gave me perspective. Helping seems to mean that we take a unique role in an overall task or objective. It certainly doesn't imply that we attempt to complete the task/objective in it's entirety.

The objective we ultimately aim for at the MTC is conversion through coming to and receiving Christ. It is the work of the Godhead to actually execute the process of conversion, and this conversion takes place exclusively between the individual and the Godhead. However, we do play a crucial role in HELPING individuals engage in the process.

My study led to me to some meaningful self-realizations. I have so often tried to take on work that is not my own by attempting to transfer my understanding-my very conversion- to those I work with. This has come in the form of lectures, direct answers to questions that I really don't have the right to answer, and even doubting others at times, because their ideas or experiences seem contrary to mine. It's not easy to swallow that I am guilty of these things.

I feel humbled and empowered. Humbled, because I have done so many things incorrectly, and empowered, because I better understand my role in conjunction with the role of an all powerful Godhead. Our entire role is to facilitate situations in which our missionaries and us can have real converting experiences with the Godhead. Our preparation and class should be conducted in such a way that the Members of the Godhead will clearly be the instructors. We just need to position ourselves and help missionaries position themselves to receive Them.

 I love control. I think we all tend to. But faith and humility is to soften our hearts and let God do His work. Discipleship is to know our role, and perform it, and to refrain from taking upon ourselves work that is not ours to do. I know the Lord wants to convert and work personally with His missionaries. I am more determined than ever to not be in the way. I love this work.

CJ Bacon

1 comment:

  1. Thanks CJ, I feel that understanding what it really means to help is a key to successfully enabling these Elders and Sisters to learn. I have never before realized what powerful implications one simple word could have.

    ReplyDelete