Thursday, August 29, 2013

Revelation THROUGH...

First off, thanks to all the wonderful people that have helped me understand and begin to apply this concept, I couldn't do it without you.

During their stay at the MTC, missionaries go through several fundamentals they must understand in order to be effective missionaries. Among those are three which all start with the words "Revelation through..." As I have had an opportunity to teach one of these fundamentals and observe others I can't help but having the feeling that as a missionary I was going at it in the wrong way!!! Whenever I taught someone about the Book of Mormon, or Prayer or the importance of Church I never quite got deep enough to explain it as a form of receiving personal revelation. Sure we always talked about spiritual blessings, but I can't even imagine what people would have gained had I been able to help them understand how each of these things (we can call them avenues) facilitate revelation.

As we teach the "Revelation through..." fundamentals, we must help the missionaries understand the doctrine behind teaching/committing people about the Book of Mormon. It is to enable that investigator/LA/etc... to receive personal revelation and answers to the deepest questions of their hearts. As Sister Lyon says: We shouldn't try to be converted to the Book of Mormon itself, but what the Book of Mormon teaches and brings to us in the form of personal revelation.When missionaries understand this, their teaching will be more powerful and heartfelt, their invitations will have more soul in them and their investigators will see that God actually wants to speak to them in many ways!!!

I'm still very new here at the MTC, but each day I pick something up new that helps me fulfill my stewardship. I'm so grateful for that and grateful that my Heavenly Father is able to take my weaknesses and build them into strengths!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment